The internet has changed the world and the way we live. Internet has been so easy to access; it has given every imaginable resource at the end of our fingertips. Everything is just a click way. Millions of products from around the world can be bought with a click of a mouse. This digital revolution has given rise to online marketing. With numerous ways to make the position in the online world, the cheapest and efficient way is email marketing.
Understanding your email marketing campaign is your first step towards its success and driving more positive responses, sales and revenue. One of the most important terms that you need to learn is bounces. Generally, there are two types of bounces – soft bounce and hard bounce. And the bounce we are here talking about which gives marketers the most trouble is “Hard Bounce”.
There might be times when your email campaign has failed or in worst cases, your email programs or service provider has inactivate your account. There is no wonder, that the actual devil here is the hard bounce. Unlike soft bounce, a hard bounce is an email that couldn’t be delivered for some permanent reasons.
Below listed are the three main reasons responsible for hard bounces:
Recipient Email Address Doesn’t exist
This is like finding water in the desert. It means that the user has given you the wrong email id or has misspelled it on purpose. For instance, email id firstname.lastname@example.org is misspelled as abc!xyz.com or email@example.com. This email address should be immediately removed from the list to avoid the rate of the hard bounce. There are also the coerced email addresses. This email addresses often show up when a user is forced to provide an email id but the visitor doesn’t feel of getting any extra benefit in providing working email id.
Domain Name Doesn’t exist
This hard bounce means that the recipient never had any account at this domain. Google is like our best friend, from movies to codes and formulas, we have searched everything. But how many times have you spelled Google as Gogle, Gooogle, Googl, the list is endless? All I want to say here is that no matter whatever the reason is, there might be a possibility that the domain name provided is incorrect and doesn’t exist in reality. One needs to identify such emails and eliminate them before sending the email.
Recipient Email Server has blocked delivery
There can be many reasons for an email server to block your email delivery. The main reason why email server filters and blocks your email id is the spam looking content. Regardless if it’s a field, misspelled subject line, ALL CAPS email body and content line, bold and large fonts or completely promotional and sales content, the recipient email server can identify you as the spammer and can block your email delivery completely.
Achieving high success rates in your email marketing campaign and maintaining a high-quality mailer list can be tricky, but not if you know the ropes. Every problem has its solution and similarly, we have listed below some of the points that can be considered to avoid hard bounces.
- Check your list of emails for its validity. You can also take help of one of the many email verifier software available online to rectify is your list has some invalid emails or domains included in it. This software also helps in checking for typos if any.
- Confirm the email addresses. If you have any subscription form on your website, don’t forget to send a confirmation address after the user subscribes your list. It will let you know if the email address is valid or not. This will help in eliminating all the invalid email ids from the beginning itself.
- Check the blacklist to ensure that neither your domain nor your ISP is blacklisted. This is essential, as you won’t be able to receive a bounced message if blacklisted.
- Never let spam trap emails hold the place in your list. These are the email ids which are often added maliciously to identify the spam senders.
- Last but not the least, the most convenient, reliable and affordable solution is to opt out for our mailing list. We provide email lists for all the business types and the list is updated every 45 days to give you the best.
Emails are permanent, searchable and reachable. You can always reach us on firstname.lastname@example.org